"Let me go down to the water. Watch the great illusion drown" - Van Morrison

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Drug of Choice

I drank coffee for about 10 years, on and off, and then seriously on (think working as a barista and swigging five cups a day), until about age 22. At that point in my life, I became convinced that caffeine was, if not a driving force behind my high levels of anxiety, then at least an exacerbating one. Never did it occur to me that maybe the sheer fact of being 22 and on my own for the first time in my life might have been more anxiety-inducing than some roasted beans, but that's water under the bridge, I suppose. So I quit cold turkey (and hot coffee) one day, and though I would very occasionally grab some decaf here and there, I even felt the trace amounts of caffeine in that were too much for my sensitive system. When I quit eating chocolate, I think it was safe to say I had developed what a mental health professional might deem cafephobia.

Things pretty much stayed this way for about another decade, until one day when a well-meaning coworker picked me up a "decaf" that turned out to be a "caf." Amazingly, my head did not explode in a supernova of stress. Sure, I felt jittery and a little edgy, but there were no lasting repercussions to speak of, obviously. Nevertheless, I pretty much avoided the black stuff for the next few years, up until a few weeks ago.

It's funny, during the toughest moments of my son's newborn period, as he slept all day and saved his waking (read: screaming) hours for the dark of night, I never ducked into a Starbucks, even through those deadly hours from about 2 to 4 p.m. on weekdays—when my eyelids were as heavy as sandbags in the back of a Vermont pickup truck straining up an icy hill in late February. (Yes, Virginia, it is possible to overdo a metaphor.) No, it wasn't until almost a year and a half later, just this summer, when I dipped my proverbial toe into the water of life once again.

And while I haven't taken up java as a daily habit, there are typically three days or so per week when I do drink it. Maybe it's because my body/mind has such a low tolerance for caffeine (ever hear of a coffee lightweight? That'd be this guy), but it is a total high for me. I feel amazing. I can feel the surge of energy in my blood. Yes, I'm jittery, but my eyes are wide open, and I can create. Hell, writing blogging "under the influence" is much easier than it would be in my normal torpor. When I listen to music, it sounds better, dramatically so. I like people more. Could it be that someone has been spiking the coffee grounds with ecstasy? I can't imagine what kind of mischief I would get up to on that drug, or anything more hardcore than a cappuccino. Which of course leads you to ask if coffee is my gateway drug? Hmm. I kinda doubt it. Considering that I had to take two Maalox tablets on Sunday to cope with the effects of 1.5 mugs of regular coffee, I think I'll get my drugs from the local cafe, not the alley behind it.

Please leave a comment below if you have a minute or two. I'd love to hear how coffee makes you feel and if any drugs (legal and otherwise) "do it" for you.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Cara dB said...

I would totally get back on the coffee wagon if it made me feel that great. Unfortunately it usually upsets my stomach. But tea, lots and lots of tea, so much so that I am easily able to beomce jittery (and more awake, which is the point.)

However: my analagous substance to the way coffee helps you is currently on the ballot, so vote yes on question 2 for me, if you don't mind.

5:23 PM

 
Blogger Zak said...

Tea it is. I absolutely loved real Indian chai when I was in India. Sweet, creamy, and with lots of intriguing spices. As for that "analogous substance," the Globe editorial yesterday told me to vote "No" on Questions 1, 2, and 3, but I think they're full of crap on 2 and 3, so I'm right there with you. Not that I partake of that particular substance these days, but I certainly don't think it should be illegal.

10:04 AM

 
Blogger Angela said...

Caffeine is a very cheap high for me. I like my coffee hot and black but only in the morning. It jump-starts my brain and gets me making word associations, noodling new ideas and feeling creative. In the late afternoon I like a big cup of Irish tea (with half 'n half, no sugar) to pick me up and keep me going. My days of taking recreational drugs are long gone and I really don't miss them at all. Except for being young, of course, and willing to try just about anything that was new and different.

11:22 PM

 
Blogger Mike said...

Interesting to read this.

I avoided caffeine until the end of high school, at which point I discovered coffee and Mountain Dew. I chugged both for years, certainly never getting "into" coffee but usually consuming the dregs.

At one point, I realized I hadn't had any caffeine for about six months -- purely accidental, of course -- and tried to drink a coffee. It hit me hard and I gave it up. The last time I tried was an iced decaf from some place in Central, and it hit me with headaches, shakes, nausea, and mental effects such as nervousness and the fear that I'd boot if I stopped talking, so I talked for 45 minutes straight. I've come to realize that I must've gotten caf by mistake, but either way I swore it off.

Long(er) story short, that's the last time I tried and for the last eight years I haven't had more than a few sips of a Pepsi to stay awake on a long drive in a rental truck or to remember what Dr. Pepper tastes like.

Now I'm curious. I regret not having caffeine on long afternoons, but at the same time I'm glad I don't have the addiction others seem to have. Thanks for this post, I've been wondering if I'm really missing anything. Maybe I am, and maybe for no standing reason, though who knows. Perhaps worth an experiment, though.

FWIW: no, yes, yes.

11:51 PM

 
Blogger Zak said...

Mike--great to hear from you on my blog! Your story is interesting, particularly now that I've had a few days lately in which the side effects of my coffee consumption have been pretty unpleasant. I actually felt pretty queasy this weekend after having had just one big cup of java, which is kind of putting a damper on all my caffeine cheerleading. I still like the high, but the low ain't all that great.

10:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home