"Let me go down to the water. Watch the great illusion drown" - Van Morrison

Monday, November 17, 2008

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
As much as I consider myself a sensitive New Age guy, I got the distinct feeling while reading The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing that the novel wasn't written for me. I suppose the title should have been my first clue. But that's not to say I didn't find the book fairly enjoyable overall. The narrator, Jane Rosenal, is offbeat and a bit awkward, but she reliably delivers a droll retort to a boyfriend or otherwise unsuspecting man on about every other page. This adds some much-needed levity to the The Girls' Guide, which confronts some pretty heavy subject matter, from a parent with cancer to infidelity to the angst inherent in contemporary New York City courtship rituals.


View all my reviews.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home